These babies are perfect for fall! So I lost the pictures of the baking process, but I still have the pictures from the final product! These cupcakes are good enough without the buttercream if you want to make them for a sweet breakfast treat. But, buttercream is my favorite part of cupcakes, so of course I have to put a yummy caramel buttercream on them! 🙂
Applesauce Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), room
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup melted caramel
- 6-7 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars.
- Add in the eggs, mixing 1 at a time.
- Mix in the applesauce.
- Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the cupcakes into liners in a cupcake pan.
- Bake 20-30 mins or until golden edges appear.
- While the cupcakes are cooking, cream together butter, vanilla and caramel, then slowly add in the powdered sugar until your desired consistency.
- If you want to have a little fun, make some fall themed objects with fondant to decorate.
- Let the cupcakes cool, decorate, and serve!