I made my first strawberry truffle 4 years ago. Every Valentine’s Day since I’ve been working on perfecting the recipe, only I could never find the perfect flavor. I have tried many different techniques from baking a strawberry cake to using strawberry puree.
This year, I FINALLY found the answer…
FREEZE DRIED STRAWBERRIES
I bought a package of them from Trader Joes and decided to experiment. If you decide to use these ones from Trader Joes, be sure to take OUT the sorbent packet. I almost grounded it up with the strawberries… OOPS.
Using a food processor, I grounded the freeze dried strawberries into a fine powder. The Trader Joes 1.2 oz bag made about 1/4 cup grounded. I added the powdered strawberries to some cream cheese, powdered sugar, and almond flour. I dipped them in chocolate, let them cool, and taste tested them…
You bite into these bad boys and suddenly there is powerful strawberry explosion in your mouth! No Joke. Whoever knew the secret lied in a small bag of freeze dried strawberries? I didn’t!
Note: You will need a food processor or blender for this recipe.
- 1.2-oz package Freeze Dried Strawberries (1/4 cup grounded)
- 8-oz package cream cheese
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 16-oz Chocolate (of your choice)
- Using a food processor or blender, grind the freeze dried strawberries into a fine powder.
- In a large bowl, mix together the powdered strawberries, almond flour, powdered sugar, and cream cheese. It helps to cut the cream cheese into 1 inch cubes.
- Roll into 1-2 inch balls and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Once refrigerated, melt chocolate in a double burner or microwave safe bowl. If you microwave the chocolate, be sure to microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each cycle.
- Use a fork to dip the balls. Wipe excess chocolate off by brushing the bottom of the fork on the edge of the bowl. Once dipped, place onto parchment paper. Feel free to decorate with sprinkles.