Happy National S’mores Day!
S’mores are the perfect summertime treat! Nothing beats sitting by the fire with your friends and family roasting marshmallows. But, not all of us have access to fire pits (if you’re like me and live in an apartment building). Thankfully, you apartment living folks are in luck because there are SO many different ways to combine the 3 staples: chocolate, graham cracker and marshmallow. There are many amazing recipes out there from s’mores mousse to s’mores cake!
None of these recipes are better than the classic, but they allow you to get a creative twist! That is why I am sharing these S’mores bars! They have a spiced cookie bottom (to resemble the graham cracker), brownie middle and broiled marshmallows on top! Baked altogether in your kitchen oven. Maybe when you’re stuck inside during the cold winter months you can try out this recipe.
“Graham Cracker” Spiced Cookie Layer
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup whole oats
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp water
- 16-20 Large Marshmallows
- Optional: 4 oz chocolate, for drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, cream the butter. Beat in the sugars and vanilla.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Mix in the flour and spices. Then, beat in the milk.
- Fold in the oats and set aside.
- For the brownies, whisk together all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Oil an 8×8 baking dish and lightly dust with flour. Fold in the spiced cookie mixture first, brownie mixture second. Tip for adding the second brownie layer: Add in dollops over the spiced cookie mixture and flatten/spread the dollops with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Leave the brownies looking a little gooey. Pull the baking dish out of the oven, add the marshmallows on top and place back into oven. Set oven to broil. Let broil for 5-7 minutes or until the marshmallows turn golden brown.
- Let cool completely before cutting.
- Optional: Drizzle with melted chocolate. Melt 4 oz of chocolate in a small bowl. Transfer melted chocolate to a small ziplock bag, cut the bottom corner of the bag to drizzle the chocolate