Happy National Bundt Cake Day!
For National Bundt Cake Day I decided to make this “Bananas Foster” Bundt Cake. The aspects of Bananas Foster I adopted were bananas + a boozy sauce. Authentic bananas foster uses Rum, but I decided to use Bourbon for this cake, mainly because a bourbon infused glaze sounded better on a banana cake than a rum infused glaze. If you want to stay authentic, feel free to replace the bourbon in this recipe with rum.
A I made this post as part of a Collab on Instagram. This collab is filled with a variety of amazing and talented bakers and chefs. Go check out #bundtsgonewild on Instagram to see all the lovely bundts everyone has made. The organizers of this fun collab and fierce troop are Ashley from Plate and Pen and Angela over at Cooking with Wine! Check out their blogs for more beautiful photos and yummy recipes.
Bananas Foster Bundt Cake
Note: You’ll need a bundt pan.
Brown Sugar Bourbon Glaze:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Then, cream the butter together with the bananas, about 45 seconds.
- Add in the sugars and beat an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Beat in each egg, one at a time. Beat in the vanilla and caramel. Beat until combined, be sure not to over beat mixture.
- Beat in 1/3 of dry mixture, then beat in 1/3 of the buttermilk. Repeat 3 times. Use a rubber spatula, as needed, to remove any flour from the sides of the bowl.
- Melt some crisco (or butter) and pour it into your bundt pan. Use a brush to spread the crisco into those nooks and crannies. Sprinkle flour evenly across the pan. Using a rubber spatula, pour mixture into the bundt pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the center no longer jiggles.
- Remove from oven, use a small rubber spatula to loosen the sides of the cake. Let cool for 5-8 minutes. Be very gentle! Do not let it cool longer than this or your cake will start to stick to the pan.
- Now, the most nerve wrecking part… removing the cake from the pan! Turn the bundt pan upside onto any tray or wire wrack you wish to glaze the cake on. Let sit upside down for 5 minutes. Tap and shake the pan to loosen the cake. Slowly pull the bundt pan off the cake. Warning: Pan will be hot, so use grippy ovenmits, if needed.
- For the Glaze: In a small pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add in vanilla, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Add in two bananas, sliced. Let cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the bourbon. Use a long lighter to light the pan on fire. Be sure no paper products are nearby and the hood is off. Once, the alcohol burns off separate out the bananas and place in a small bowl.
- You will have a caramely looking mixture left in the pan. Remove the pan from heat. Add in the powdered sugar and milk, whisk together till well combined. While the glaze is still hot, pour evenly overtop of the bundt cake.
- Ta da! Immediately serve the bananas over the cake.