Hope you all are making the most of this pandemic filled Easter. Not going to lie, this past week has been a stressful one for myself. This summer was already a lot with balancing a wedding, moving to a different state and finding a new job. COVID-19 has put quite the dammer on all of that. It’s a stressful time for everyone, but this Easter Sunday is a reminder of what matters most in the midst of all the chaos. Our current suffering is a reminder of the suffering Christ went through for us.
Sourdough Carrot Cake Rolls
IngredientsNote: You will need an active starter.
Cream Cheese Icing:
- Prepare Starter: Make sure you use an active starter or levain. Make sure your starter has been fed within the last 12 hours and is stored between a temperature of 70-80F.
- Make the dough:Melt the butter and add the milk to it, set aside to cool. Using a food scale, add the starter, sugar and egg to a large bowl – Mix together using a fork. Add in the flour, shredded carrot, salt, and spices. Slowly add the butter-milk mixture. Using a dough hook on a standing mixer, mix until all ingredients are incorporated and form a ball around the dough hook. If you do not have a dough hook, you can knead by hand for 5 minutes.
- Let the Dough Rise: Coat a large bowl in oil and place the ball of dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit at room temperature for 12-14 hours to rise.
- Shaping the Rolls: Place the dough on a floured surface. Lightly press the dough out and divided into 9 pieces. Shape each piece into a small ball. Place in a greased baking dish, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 8-24 hours. I recommend placing the the fridge the night before you plan to bake them.
- To Bake: Take the rolls out of the fridge and let sit at room temperature for 2 hours. Preheat the oven to 400F. Cover and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Make the Icing: Beat together the cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar. Spread over the rolls, once they come to room temperature. Serve and Enjoy!