Hope you all are making the most of this pandemic filled Easter. Not going to lie, this past week has been a stressful one for myself. This summer was already a lot with balancing a wedding, moving to a different state and finding a new job. COVID-19 has put quite the dammer on all of that. It’s a stressful time for everyone, but this Easter Sunday is a reminder of what matters most in the midst of all the chaos. Our current suffering is a reminder of the suffering Christ went through for us.
Sourdough Carrot Cake Rolls
IngredientsNote: You will need an active starter.
Cream Cheese Icing:
- Prepare Starter: Make sure you use an active starter or levain. Make sure your starter has been fed within the last 12 hours and is stored between a temperature of 70-80F.
- Make the dough:Melt the butter and add the milk to it, set aside to cool. Using a food scale, add the starter, sugar and egg to a large bowl – Mix together using a fork. Add in the flour, shredded carrot, salt, and spices. Slowly add the butter-milk mixture. Using a dough hook on a standing mixer, mix until all ingredients are incorporated and form a ball around the dough hook. If you do not have a dough hook, you can knead by hand for 5 minutes.
- Let the Dough Rise: Coat a large bowl in oil and place the ball of dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit at room temperature for 12-14 hours to rise.
- Shaping the Rolls: Place the dough on a floured surface. Lightly press the dough out and divided into 9 pieces. Shape each piece into a small ball. Place in a greased baking dish, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 8-24 hours. I recommend placing the the fridge the night before you plan to bake them.
- To Bake: Take the rolls out of the fridge and let sit at room temperature for 2 hours. Preheat the oven to 400F. Cover and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Make the Icing: Beat together the cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar. Spread over the rolls, once they come to room temperature. Serve and Enjoy!
One thought on “Sourdough Carrot Cake Rolls”
These cake rolls are awesome, my niece and nephew would love them, I’ll prepare a batch next weekend 🙂