Still looking for a weekend recipe? Well you’re in luck!
The first time I made these tacos was at the end of summer as an experiment and I fell in love with them! This past year I tried avocados and mangoes for the first time… and fell in love with both. When, I say in love, I mean I eat avocados [and gauc] ALL the time now. Unfortunately, its neither fruits season here in Ohio. But, last week at the store, mangoes were on sale! As soon as I saw that, I instantly thought of these tacos and knew I HAD to make them again.
Lets rewind to last summer when I first made these. I was looking for a good taco recipe and I saw lots of mango-avocado salsa recipes, and due to my new obsession, these tacos needed a mango + an avocado. Then, I came across honey BBQ chicken tacos. They didn’t have mangoes or avocados on them, but I just knew I had to combine both. The combo seemed a little weird and I was nervous how they would turn out….
They were absolutely amazing.
I didn’t expect them to taste so amazing, so I actually didn’t take a single picture! Can you believe me? I photograph everything I cook.. about 99% of the time. The 1% of the time I don’t.. the recipe turns out WAY better than imagine.
Now, fast forward to the cold month of January and on sale mangoes.. I decided to test these bad boys out again AND take pictures! They were just as amazing! The sweetness hidden in the BBQ sauce complements the sweetness in the mango perfectly, and the chili paste adds a little kick.
I don’t recommend making them for yourself… because they’re just so good you may end up eating them all. But, if you’re having a ladies night, family game night, or a night in with your boo, I recommend making these tacos! You’ll have some very happy people.
Honey BBQ Tacos with Mango-Avocado Salsa
- ¾ cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- garlic salt
- 1 mango
- 1 avocado
- ¼ pearl onion, diced
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tsp chili paste
- ¼ of paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 7-8 tortillas (hard or soft)
- 4 ounces shredded cheese, your choice
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Seed and cut the red pepper in half. Place one half on a baking sheet covered with olive oil and a dash of pepper and garlic salt. Place in oven for 6-7 minutes, let cool.
- While pepper is roasting, shred 4 ounces of cheese, place in the fridge for later.
- Coat chicken breast in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place in baking dish, cover with foil, and place in oven. Let cook for 20 minutes. (Every oven is different, so make sure you cook the chicken till there is no more pink color in the middle)
- While the chicken is cooking dice the red pepper, onion, avocado, and mango. Place into a small bowl.
- Add chili paste and paprika to the small bowl and gently stir all the ingredients together.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, stir BBQ Sauce, honey and brown sugar together. Microwave for 45 seconds, stir, and then microwave for another 30-45 seconds.
- Once chicken is done, take out of oven. Using a fork transfer chicken to another bowl. Use two forks, pull chicken apart to shred. Pour the BBQ mixture over the chicken and mix together.
- Heat 7-8 soft tortillas in the microwave or bake 7-8 hard tortilla shells according to directions on the box.
- To Serve: Fill tortilla with chicken, cover with the salsa mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
- Eat and Enjoy!
Here’s some more pictures!
Just look how colorful and yummy that Mango-Avocado salsa is:
For anyone who has never shredded chicken before. Just follow the directions and its super easy to pull the chicken apart. The olive oil and covering the pan are key to keeping the chicken moist enough to shred: